4th through 8th Grade - COME BACK TO CAMPUS!
Understanding the need for students to have an opportunity to participate in athletic activities, and given recent allowance provided by state and local health departments, we are pleased to offer an after-school program that will permit a limited number of students on campus for athletic training and conditioning purposes, starting next week with our 7th and 8th grade students.
The chance for students to see classmates in person, to run together, to experience a little back and forth throwing, catching, bumping, shooting, or kicking a ball, is extremely important. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, we cannot offer our usual athletic program and even these training and conditioning opportunities are limited. Please keep this in mind as you read through the details outlined below, including a link if you would like your child to participate.
WHAT TO KNOW
- There is no charge to families for this program.
- We will have two “seasons.”
Season 1 = flag football, girls’ volleyball -- October 28 - November 20
Season 2 = girls’ soccer, boys’ basketball -- November 30 - December 18
- One grade per afternoon, 3:45-4:45pm, with the following schedule (please see calendar at the bottom of the page also):
Wednesday, October 28 - 8th grade
Thursday, October 29 - 7th grade
Wednesday, November 4 - 6th grade
Thursday, November 5 - 5th grade
Friday, November 6 - 4th grade
From Monday, November 9 through Friday, November 20, the weekly schedule will be (please see calendar at bottom of the page also):
Mondays - 7th grade
Tuesdays - 4th grade
Wednesdays - 6th grade
Thursdays - 5th grade
Fridays - 8th grade
- Bring your own ball from home, if at all possible. If not, we will provide (and disinfect before and after).
- Only one ball per two students will be shared.
- Physical distancing will be in effect. No games or scrimmages are allowed under current restrictions; instead, activities must be limited to drills, conditioning, and athletic skill development. Plastic discs, cones, and tape will be used to help ensure an 8 foot distance between students.
- Students will wear face coverings.
- Bring your own water bottle from home. Each child will be assigned a specific area, marked by a hula hoop, to place their belongings.
- Hand washing stations will be available and required.
- Athletic clothes and shoes are required. Cleats may be worn (only if you already have them) for football and soccer. Court/gym shoes must be worn for basketball and volleyball. It is not necessary to wear Wesley gear.
- Students will check in between 3:30-3:45, one student at a time, 6 feet apart. Ms. Lanstra will conduct a symptom screening, including a temperature check, and the student will be signed in. At 4:45-5:00pm, students will be signed out, one at a time, 6 feet apart. Parents and caregivers WILL REMAIN IN THEIR CARS at all times. We will facilitate drop off and pickup in the lower (South) parking lot.
- We will be able to accommodate as many students in each grade level who want to participate, but all students must be officially registered to do so.
- Coaches will be Coach Freddy for football and boys’ basketball, and Coach JoAnn for girls’ volleyball and girls’ soccer.
Click HERE to get your child signed up.
The goal of the Athletic Program is to provide an engaging, enjoyable, and collaborative environment that supports the student-athlete's total development through a well-rounded program that stresses and values the student first, the athlete second.
The mission of the Athletic Program is to have FUN while teaching teamwork and sportsmanship -- including fair play, integrity, and observance of rules. We believe these factors combined translate into a successful individual on and off the athletic field.
Joining a school sports team is a great way to get to know new classmates or strengthen existing friendships. It makes no difference if your child is aiming for the Olympics or just hoping to break a sweat. The after-school sports program at Wesley is a safe environment both physically and emotionally. At this level, it's not about winning and losing -- it’s about taking chances and reaping the rewards of doing so.
The Wesley School is a member of both the San Fernando Valley Private School League and the Junior High Delphic League. We participate in interscholastic team and individual competitions in both leagues. The school offers three seasons of athletic competition for students in the 4th through 8th grades.
In the fall, we offer girls basketball, flag football, co-ed middle school swimming, and co-ed middle school cross country. Practices and games will begin Wednesday, September 4.
In the winter, we offer girls soccer, boys basketball, and 7th/8th grade boys' soccer. Practices begin at the end of November. Games begin in the middle of January.
In the spring, we offer girls volleyball, middle school boys volleyball, 4th-6th grade boys soccer, and co-ed middle school track. Practices begin early March. Games begin in April.
Lower school students practice Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:15-4:45pm. Middle school students practice Mondays and Wednesdays, 3:30-5:00pm EXCEPT: Cross Country will practice Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:30-5:00pm at North Hollywood Park across the street. Swim team practices are currently TBD.
Occasionally, practices are adjusted for the needs of the team, individual coaches, and/or the school. Teams are given a practice schedule prior to the start of the season. Games are played once or twice a week, Monday through Thursday, "home" or "away." The team travels with their coach via bus to the "away" games.
Please email me if you have any questions.
Athletic Director/Middle School PE